Total Pageviews

Friday, June 24, 2011

Rainfall

Everyone knows hot hot it is in Houston. Blazing Hot! Everyone knows we are going through a drought. There are flash fires, crop damage and water restrictions.  But on Wednesday we received a heavy rainfall.  Growing up in Louisiana I loved to sit on the screened in porch and watch the rain come down as I ate my Popsicle.  There was a feeling of comfort as the soft cool spray of the rain kissed my face as I rocked back and forth on the swing.

As I stood out on the balcony of my apartment, watching the rain fall as I had done so many times before, I realized that God knew we needed rain too.  And most importantly, he knew just when to send it!.

Most of you that are really close to me know that I have been going through some struggles of late. I suppose it has been my season of drought.  It just seems like 10 years ought to be enough time! :) lol I am searching for the rainfall in my life.  I am surveying my life and may be being a bit more reflective than I should. Recently I read in chapter 7 of Feeding Your Soul by Jean Flemming, that when we are going through a season of "Dryness", it's o.k. to be reflective, we simply need to reflect on the right things.

Two things stood out to me in that chapter.  One was we need to visit the alters where God has given us victory in our lives and secondly we should demonstrate our gratitude for Gods amazing grace.  I realize that all of this is absolutely true.  However my sisters and brothers, we are human!  And our Lord knows that all to well because he too experienced dry seasons during his three year ministry.  He was rejected, despised, betrayed, slandered, disrespected and abandoned.  And HE WAS LORD!


But he also knew that we would continue to experience these things in spite of his sacrifice for our redemption. For example, when he told Peter that Satan wanted to sift him like wheat. 

Luke 22:31

The Message (MSG)
 31-32"Simon, stay on your toes. Satan has tried his best to separate all of you from me, like chaff from wheat. Simon, I've prayed for you in particular that you not give in or give out. When you have come through the time of testing, turn to your companions and give them a fresh start."

Sometimes our trials are meant for just that, to give someone else a fresh start. To demonstrate God's love for us as he brings us through our seasons of dryness.  Although by my own admission, I do not always feel that way!  In fact when I was looking at the rain on Wednesday, I had a huge "Why" moment.  Why me, Why not, Why so long?

I am sure Peter wondered those same things.  Especially after his big denial scene in Luke 22:54-60,  Talk about drama!  So I suppose we are no different. Same ole same ole as they say.  One thing I want you to remember and that is Jesus told Peter he was praying for him.  Jesus praying for us?  Yes he is our advocate before the Father.  He wants us to cast all of our care upon him because he cares for us.  Even when we (I) don't feel he does.  He sends the rainfall.

How? Through a shower of well wishes from friends. Through a sprinkle of love throughout the day by strangers we may never know.  Through downpours of love from persons we did not realize were concerned for our well being.

We must learn to appreciate the rainfall in the midst of the drought. Last night as I was watching the new adventure show, Expedition Impossible on ABC, one of the challenges for the teams was to find water the traditional Berber way. They were in the Sahara desert!  Sand for miles!  But one member of one team said lets dig.  Everyone including his team members thought perhaps the heat had gotten to him!  But reluctanly they agreed to the request.  They were at the end of the road with no where to go, so they dug.  They had to did deep and then a wonderful thing happened, they hit water!  Water in the midst of the great Sahara!  The teams were awe struck and could not believe it.

I saw something else, I saw God's sovereignty over nature.  He created the dessert and allowed life to flourish there; and in doing so he made provisions for survival even in harsh conditions!  The great news is he will do the same for us.  El Shaddai-The god who is sufficient for the needs of his people!

Even though we feel like we are in the Sahara, there is an Oasis there.

 P. S. My tribute to the great Gene Kelly!  Sometimes we have to sing in the rain!

Be Blessed.  TGIF!


“But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.” 2 Thessalonians 3:3 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment