Total Pageviews

Friday, June 3, 2011

Food for the Soul

Well sports fans we are in the middle of the NBA finals, the students have donned their caps and gowns and school is out for the summer!  We have so much to thank God for. Which by the way inspired me to begin this blog!  There have been a number of changes this year; and you know what? Change is good. My daughter likes to say, if nothing changes, nothing changes!

We must begin to look at our lives through the eyes of GRATITUDE!  Think about the last time you actually said the words to someone, I am grateful for...Well here goes. I am eternally grateful for my relationship with the Lord. I am grateful that my oldest daughter graduated this past May from the University of North Texas.  Yeah me! My other daughter completed her freshman year at the University of Houston.  I am also grateful for all of the new relationships I formed and the old relationships I have rekindled this year.  God is awesome!  What a mighty God we serve.

This morning I was reflecting on the amount of time we spend thinking about our problems.  How much more could we accomplish if we channeled all of that energy into moving forward?  Moving into our destiny. Hmm? Exactly what does that mean? Well if means different things for most of us, but it involves the same thing for all of us, trust and obedience.  Proverbs 3:5a states to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." And in 1 Samuel 15:22 we are reminded that to obey God is better than sacrifice.

The story of Deborah and Barak gives us a vivid example of how a simple act of disobedience can alter our destiny.  Be mindful I said alter not change.  Because the days God has ordained for us are according to His will.  However, we can bring about circumstances that distract us from or cause delays in our destiny.

The account of Barak's reliance on the leadership of Deborah demonstrates that there are times when God will only give us the victory if we trust in HIM not in man (or woman!). In order to give the the victory to Barak he had to go into the battle against Sisera without Deborah.  She even told him that the Lord had gone before him.  But he would not go on without her.  Therefore, the Lord gave the victory to Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite.

Isn't that just like us though?  We can clearly hear the still small voice of the God directing us through changes in our lives.  Telling us with clarity to leave that relationship, resign from that job, go back to school or study a specific biblical principal.  And what do we do?  Ask everyone else who can not really help us!  We spend  more time contemplating, consulting and procrastinating rather than acting on what God would have us to do.

It is no wonder so many of us feel "stuck like Chuck" when it comes to our marriages, relationships, careers and spiritual growth.  I want to encourage you this day to take the first painful step to stop stalling and start walking!  Walking towards your destiny. Walking into your future by living in the present and not in the past. Last week I realized I was doing just that!  I was talking the talk, but the walk?  A little on the crooked side. lol

Recently some good friends told me two things that resonated with me. One, everything looks better on the other side of the fence.  Secondly, we can all be the hero (or She-ro) of our own stories. When God should be the HERO.

Let's make a pact today demonstrate  a spirit of gratitude, to let go of past mistakes and trust God to bring us into our destiny!

Peace and blessings,

Sheri Linette

Take a listen to Spiritual by Donald Lawrence
 http://praisephilly.com/music/praiseonline/donald-lawrence-spiritual-new-music/

Spiritual by Donald LawrenceTak

No comments:

Post a Comment